X-Series Trailer Brake Hookup

Not long ago, on this or some other BMW BB, someone described how they hooked up the electric brake control on their X5. I thought I had "bookmarked" it. But, I didn't.

Can anyone steer me to it, or give detailed instructions for my X3?

I have the "BMW" trailer hitch that was installed by my dealer. First one from BMW wasn't correctly wired as I found out when 500 miles from home picking up a new trailer. We had to jury-rig it to simply have brake lights.

Dealer replaced it with new unit that works correctly. HOWEVER - the electric connection pin that activates the electric brakes has no modulator control or way to insert one. So, the trailer brakes are either off or locked.

After extensive testing & calls to various trailer hitch/brake system companies, I learned that the wire that runs to the electric brake pin on the connector can be spliced into. I did that. That puts my controller in-line with it.

BUT, it doesn't work. At a setting of 0% it shows a "0.0" reading. Moving it up to even 1% results in no readout at all. And, worst of all, even at 90% or 100% no brake action on the trailer.

Anyone have any ideas?

Norm