What's the difference between an automatic and manual transmission?

People, calm down already. Well, I would love to stay neutral but I just have to comment on a few things. Wallie05, you said that off the line, the manual M3 is faster and then you started saying how we shouldn't mention the tranny shifting faster since the car will actually be slower, is that correct? Well, if it is, then here me out. Did you ever see that Audi commercial where they show you how the A6 racing version of the car just flys off the line? Then they say it is all because of all wheel drive traction and crap like that. Well, in actuallity, the car IS faster off the line but then falls behind. My point is that straight line speed is not all that matters. Take a dragster for example, in a road course even my car will beat it because the damn thing will have to REALLY slow down for the turns. According to your explanation, the damn thing is FAST and whould be faster than my car but infact, even if I drove mine and a proffessional driver drove the roadster, I would still win. Off the line doesn't mean much when it comes to a twisty road course. I am sorry to say this but it almost seems as if you have all this anger against SMGs because they have beaten you a lot of times. Just like Hitler developed hatred for Jews because a Jew would always be a tiny bit in front of him. Anyhow, if SMG is for posers, formula 1 drivers are posers too then huh? Get over it, didn't like the SMG because it wasn't auto smooth, guess what, its not supposed to be. Why give it capability to shift automatically you ask? Many reasons for that and it is way too late for me to be spending time on your BS. BTW, one more thing, if you adore stick so much, why are you getting a 760iL? As far as I know those don't come with stick. If your going to tell me that a manual will just not be as smooth as an auto, thats a lie, drive around with my dad, you won't notice one shift.

Pink_Floyd said:
Thanks for replying. It's nice to see that you're being smart ass even though you knew what I meant by using the simple terms that I did. All clutches in car transmissions use hydraulics. The difference between foot operated and hydraulic is obvious. I'm sorry if I didn't say electro-hydraulic or mechanically operated hydraulic piston.

By standard definition a clutch is something that grasps or connects something. You want to tell me a torque converter is not a form of a clutch?
Not true about the hydraulics.. My Saab uses an old fasion clutch cable for the 5 speed.

epj3

The only time the SMG DOES make the car faster is if you are on a track or driving on a back very twisty road - in order to get good times with a 6 speed manual gearbox, you would have to take advantage of heel-toeing, and other pretty advanced techniques. With SMG, it does it FOR You... blips the throttle and gets the engine to the exact rpm's it should be at for those speeds.

I think SMG II is awesome - I'm not sure which gearbox I would get if I were buying a new M3. Obviously I would want to test drive it to be sure.

There you go, exactly what I meant. Well, almost anyway. Wallie05 I see how your saying that SMG is for posers who can't drive, because of all that that it does for you. But thats how everything is done in life, lazyness is motivation for progress. Look at anything around you, even things like audio equipment, you can buy higher end audio equipment to substitute going to an actual concert. If you want to live with what you have in mind about the SMG, I think you should go back some time and walk around naked, not have any weapons to kill your food or any shoes to make your feet comfortable. Of course I am exagerating there but the principal behind it all is the same. Anyway, lets not dis anybody for their preferences, if one person prefers to be lazier than another, it is her/his own will and choice.

my two cents

The SMGII is a sweet tranny, it is super hightech and though i can heel-toe pretty damn well i know that i won't hit near 100% of them, thats the thing about the SMG, it will.

Wallie, you are super immature. Do you call M. Schumacher, Trulli, or Montoya pussies cause they drive with similar techonology? I'm not gonna get two twisted up in these arguments, but you are definately talking out or your ass buddy.

epj3

frolf said:
my two cents

The SMGII is a sweet tranny, it is super hightech and though i can heel-toe pretty damn well i know that i won't hit near 100% of them, thats the thing about the SMG, it will.

Wallie, you are super immature. Do you call M. Schumacher, Trulli, or Montoya pussies cause they drive with similar techonology? I'm not gonna get two twisted up in these arguments, but you are definately talking out or your ass buddy.
Simma down boy, you're just mad becuase you can't burn clutches with an SMG.. Ba-dum-ching!

Just kidding -- but yea, F1 drivers are the #1 drivers in the world. In fact, isn't the 'automatic' mode shift pattern copied off of Montoya??

bmwrocks

1000 Post Club
xLibelle said:
i didnt really have anything to say about this subject but had to interject with a correction.
It is infact, possible to shift faster than SMG. Dont ask me from personal experiance but ive seen this argument many times before... i have a video that is pretty hot evidence that manual is the shit, IF you know what youre doing.

....hmm, i think the link was posted here once too....
SMG II can change the gears in 80 ms. Did you read that? 80 MILLISECONDS. That's .08 seconds to go from one gear to the next.

I believe that is the actual change time. i.e. like the time it takes to move a shifter from 1 to 2. I don't think this includes the hydraulic disengagement or re-engagement of the internal "clutch". Although I would bet Wallie05's paycheck that those times are lightning quick also.

I am no expert, but does anyone think they can move a shifter from 1 to 2 in .08 seconds? That is literally the blink of an eye.

BMW engineers and F1 cars are for pussies I guess...

The new upgraded 7 speed SMG gearbox that is going to be equipt on the new V10 M5 is suppose to change gears at about .06 seconds. This is what I have read about it.....

P.S. Thanks bmwrocks, it is a blast to drive every chance I get. I just wish I could drive it everyday. As it stands now, I haven't driven the monster in over a week, but the weekend is coming up and my foot feels really heavy right now. ;)

andreyiv said:
I am sorry to say this but it almost seems as if you have all this anger against SMGs because they have beaten you a lot of times. Just like Hitler developed hatred for Jews because a Jew would always be a tiny bit in front of him. Anyhow, if SMG is for posers, formula 1 drivers are posers too then huh? Get over it, didn't like the SMG because it wasn't auto smooth, guess what, its not supposed to be. Why give it capability to shift automatically you ask? Many reasons for that and it is way too late for me to be spending time on your BS. BTW, one more thing, if you adore stick so much, why are you getting a 760iL? As far as I know those don't come with stick. If your going to tell me that a manual will just not be as smooth as an auto, thats a lie, drive around with my dad, you won't notice one shift.

There are too many arguements (if you can call these feable rebuttals such) being posted in this thread to refute. One arguement is that the SMG is faster than the 6spd; the next mentions that the SMG is not an auto at all, but really a manual in spirit; and finally, the most ingenious example of all, that SMG cars are faster than mine. None of these is even worth debating, but the stupidity of the last is beyond disregard.

This much is clear: those who like the system are zealous, though illogical, in their defense of the SMG. None you have provided any discernable advantages of the system. But the disadvantages remain painfully obvious, such as lack of complete control of the drivetrain--wait too long on the gas, and the car shifts for your; need your mother-in-law to take it the store, put it in auto.

Your attempts to convince me of the control-sharing via computer are futile; if anything, they serve as a contradiction to your statements. Yes, it is a computer controlling the transmission; yes, the computer thinks it's a manual. I will not grant you this and you receive no points. In the end, I must conclude that your inability to examine my posts as a whole, combined with your inept responses, is a signal of involuntary defeat. The quote above is indicative.

I have never raced an SMG-equipped auto and never will; the only autos offered with the SMG (M and Z series) are much faster than my car, even WITHOUT the SMG. Why should a BMW with said transmission have any bearing on my determination to "beat them" if my car is not an adequate match anyway. They are not fast because they have SMG, they are just fast cars that happen to HAVE SMG. The quote above is simply moot, and the Jewish remark is utterly stupid, if not a tad offensive. I certainly hope I didn't offend any p*ussies with my p*ussy comment, but it seems to me that I have.... [rofl]

In the end, you have done nothing more than to prove that your efforts precede your abilities.

///mspeed said:
I haven't driven the monster in over a week, but the weekend is coming up and my foot feels really heavy right now.
Must be the right foot, Lord knows the left one must be short of exercise..... [clap]

Last edited:
Egads!!

I think all you guys should drive a vehicle that has no synchronizers and requires double clutching. Then you would appreciate ALL of the current transmissions!!!! [rofl]

Kirby said:
Egads!!

I think all you guys should drive a vehicle that has no synchronizers and requires double clutching. Then you would appreciate ALL of the current transmissions!!!! [rofl]
[rofl][rofl]subtract power steering while you are at it. imagine turning hard, while double clutching on that thing? ahhh technology!

Average Jae said:
[rofl][rofl]subtract power steering while you are at it. imagine turning hard, while double clutching on that thing? ahhh technology!
Hehe, yeah, and while we're at it we may as well get rid of the power brakes too!

ok ///M SPEED the reason why smg is used now instead of manuel is becssue america has gotten so lazy they can not push a clutxch with there foot. plus a manuel is better becasue it is more fun and you put more effort into your drive. and after a whgile the smae old samold drive gets boring and wioth a stick it is never the same trip. also i dont care hoiw much fsater it is to have an smg2 shifter i tend to drive to places not race there and i love sturring the gears especailly bmw who has one of the best manuel gear boxes i nthe world. dude a manuel m3 will always be cooler and funner and more enjoyable car to drive over an smg no matter what you think. for many it ahs never been about shifting quicker its just more fun and thats why on automatic driver understands us manule owners and lovers.

Dear Wallie,

you said inept

Dear Inept,

you gonna take that?

Dear Wallie part 2,

here is the deal dude, we are all just saying that the SMG itself deserves a lot of respect because it is a highly advance transmission. We are also saying that in now way does owning an SMG make you a "*****." Take 5 or 10 deep breathes, and then think to yourself "too each their own." cause i'm sure you are happy with your car, we are happy with ours, why can't it all just boil down to that?

goodnight

Last edited:

bmwrocks

1000 Post Club
Wallie05 said:
Must be the right foot, Lord knows the left one must be short of exercise.....
Someday you will mature past the thought that you are somehow better because you drive a manual. Do you think all of us who have an automatic in one of our cars have never owned or even have a car with a manual? Good luck in your quest for adulthood.

bmwrocks said:
Someday you will mature past the thought that you are somehow better because you drive a manual. Do you think all of us who have an automatic in one of our cars have never owned or even have a car with a manual? Good luck in your quest for adulthood.

See, this is another example of the nonsensical logic, not to mention hypocrisy, that permeates throughout this forum. Allow to me to add to the rhetorical hodgepodge I’ve created in this thread.

You see 'Rocks, your little automatic v. manual spiel is tired and weak. I’m perfectly comfortable with the fact that some cars have, and are only offered with, automatic transmissions (i.e. 7 series; most SUVs) and don’t hold it against drivers for purchasing those kinds of autos. Most of these cars are better suited for these transmissions. The same cannot be said of the M3. My next auto will, after all, be an automatic. BUT, and this is a very big BUT, so try to stick with me, there is a big difference between buying a car that is ONLY offered with an automatic, versus buying/driving the automatic version of a car that IS offered with a manual. My opinion doesn’t only apply to M3s in this regard; I will admit, I do show disdain for those Porsche drivers who would rather purchase their 911s equipped with Tiptronic rather than the 6spd—it “dilutes” the car and defeats the purpose of buying such a car. It’s subjective I realize, but grant me this much.
In this sense, I put the SMG M3s in the same category.

Here’s a summation for you: if a person buys family sedan or SUV with an automatic, there’s no issue, but if a person wants a true sports car and opts for an automatic (or derivative/hybrid thereof—read: SMG) then I think it’s a little sad. Fair enough? [8)]

Oh, and what’s with your maturity kick? Rather than write a rational, thought-provoking response, you deflect to what amounts to petty dismissiveness based on your inability to grasp the big picture. Furthermore, my quote that you respond to is clearly tongue-in-cheek, and hardly a measure of immaturity, or maturity for that matter. And finally, in case you’re referring to my earlier p*ussy remark which was obviously mean to ruffle feathers, you too are no stranger to sexually-referenced forms of slang. “Man that blows,” doesn’t it???? Hmmm, talk about immature… [scratch]

Good luck in your quest for self-righteousness. [rolleyes]

SMG is a great transmission, but I feel like most people who get an M3 with SMG are the ones who can't/aren't willing to drive stick, and they just want an M3 pretty much so they can say "I drive an M3" which is just pathetic beyond belief. That's how it is around here in NJ, at least.
Another pathetic thing is getting a Porsche in automatic (excluding the Cayenne). If it doesn't have 3 pedals, it's not a Porsche.

Wallie05, I think you think of SMG in the wrong way. SMG is a full manual transmission, but the clutch is controlled by a computer. It's not some typica automatic with manual shift mode. SMG has the exact feel of a manual, but you do the shifting electronically, via the paddle shiftesr or the shiftt knob in the center console. There is an auto mode to SMG, but if you can really appreciate manual transsmision, you'll probably drive it in manual mode all the time.
Think of it this way: SMG is a transmission has the feel and driving experience of a manual with the practicality of no clutch modulation required on the driver's part. This makes the M3 w/SMG a superb daily driver for those who do a fair amount of driving in traffic or NYC, for example. To tell you the truth, I go into NYC every week-end and manual transmission is QUITE a hassle. You drive for two blocks and then you're at a red light for a few minutes again...I'm just constantly clutching in and out, shifting from 2-3 and 3-2 and it gets tiring quickly. But at the same time, NYC cops will never pull you over for speeding, so it is quite fun to do some aggressive city driving which actually does make manual in the city kinda worth it! Baaaaaaah, I'm just contradicting myself now!!! [?|]

epj3

Wallie05 said:
See, this is another example of the nonsensical logic, not to mention hypocrisy, that permeates throughout this forum. Allow to me to add to the rhetorical hodgepodge I’ve created in this thread.

You see 'Rocks, your little automatic v. manual spiel is tired and weak. I’m perfectly comfortable with the fact that some cars have, and are only offered with, automatic transmissions (i.e. 7 series; most SUVs) and don’t hold it against drivers for purchasing those kinds of autos. Most of these cars are better suited for these transmissions. The same cannot be said of the M3. My next auto will, after all, be an automatic. BUT, and this is a very big BUT, so try to stick with me, there is a big difference between buying a car that is ONLY offered with an automatic, versus buying/driving the automatic version of a car that IS offered with a manual. My opinion doesn’t only apply to M3s in this regard; I will admit, I do show disdain for those Porsche drivers who would rather purchase their 911s equipped with Tiptronic rather than the 6spd—it “dilutes” the car and defeats the purpose of buying such a car. It’s subjective I realize, but grant me this much.
In this sense, I put the SMG M3s in the same category.

Here’s a summation for you: if a person buys family sedan or SUV with an automatic, there’s no issue, but if a person wants a true sports car and opts for an automatic (or derivative/hybrid thereof—read: SMG) then I think it’s a little sad. Fair enough? [8)]

Oh, and what’s with your maturity kick? Rather than write a rational, thought-provoking response, you deflect to what amounts to petty dismissiveness based on your inability to grasp the big picture. Furthermore, my quote that you respond to is clearly tongue-in-cheek, and hardly a measure of immaturity, or maturity for that matter. And finally, in case you’re referring to my earlier p*ussy remark which was obviously mean to ruffle feathers, you too are no stranger to sexually-referenced forms of slang. “Man that blows,” doesn’t it???? Hmmm, talk about immature… [scratch]

Good luck in your quest for self-righteousness. [rolleyes]
True sports car <> BMW

Sure, the M3 is a sports car, but if you' want to talk TRUE sports cars, then you better look for lotus, caterham, mclaren, etc.

"True sports cars" don't come with a navigation system and many creature comforts that are found in the m3.