Using 89 Octane on an X3 2.5L

jstiebe

I have a friend who has an X3 2.5.............She said the dealer told her that using 89 octane is good enough even though the owners manual says to use 91 octane. Will this cause damage to the engine in the long run? She did purchase the vehicle so she plans to have it for a while.

Tom

Staff Team
I doubt using 89 octane would cause any engine damage. The only thing she might notice is less fuel efficiency with the lower octane.

Yeah, the engine will automatically adjust itself accordingly to the lower grade fuel. She will get a bit less fuel economy and a bit less performance, but it won't do any real damage. Although considering those two cons of using the lower grade fuel, she may just be better off using 91+ octane anyways.

This is copied from a post on another website/forum. Keep in mind that this debate went on for some time and got pretty heated so you may find this to be a little harsh. People went back and forth pretty hard about lower octanes not being a problem while others stated that it's foolish to ruin the engine just to save a few bucks. Afterall, if you spend $40K on a car, why worry about saving $2-$3 per gas tank. This, by the way, was pretty much the closing statement in the thread and no one could really argue any of his points. As a matter of fact, they thanked him for his input and everybody made up and were friends again after this post [drinking] .

Sorry, but I just had to add my 2 cents worth. I also work for BMW. I can tell you that anyone from BMW telling you to use a lower grade gas is an idiot. Oops... did I just say that? I have had lengthy conversation with the Germans who build these incredible cars and if they knew anyone from the world of BMW was telling you such crap they would be using every German swear word within reach to express their disgust. I have often wondered why unqualified people give unqualified opinions regarding matters such as this... I came to only one conclusion. Many people are appeasers... they tell you what they think you want to hear in order to make you happy. Kind of like they want to be your hero... or something corny like that.

There are several post in this thread that make excellent points regarding this matter. The bottom line is this:
When you don't follow the guidelines set by the manufacture you are doing several things, but most importantly you...
1.) Cause the engine to run richer
2.) Effect the emissions (makes it more dirty... for all you green folks)
3.) Cuts back on power (depending on the conditions this can be subtle or extreme)
4.) Forces the engine to work a lot harder then it should have to... increasing the overall wear and tear... which will likely shorten the life of your beloved BMW

Get the point? One more thing... because the car is compensating for your penny pinching ways, it is unlikely that you will "notice" a difference while driving normal (in other words, not racing.) In fact, if you do hear a difference, feel a difference... its probably to late. It is likely that you have already started causing damage.
I'm sorry for the rant. I've read post like these before and have refrained from commenting. I guess this time, I just couldn't help myself.

Big Daddy

Thanks Jason, that is what I was looking for! I can never figure why a person buys a performance automobile and than wants to save two bucks per tank fuel running cheap fuel?

jstiebe

Thanks..That's Good Info

Thanks for all the replys. I will relay the info to my friend. I agree that saving 5 cents a gallon on $35K car is ridiculous...

Big Daddy said:
Thanks Jason, that is what I was looking for! I can never figure why a person buys a performance automobile and than wants to save two bucks per tank fuel running cheap fuel?
hehe, no problem Dan, i can be useful once in a while.. ^^;;

totally agreeing w/ the "i'ma save me some money" BS at the pump. then again, its your car, your money. stubborn mule..

Ok, here's some simple math in answer to the question, how much money will I save by using 89 octane instead of 93 octane? Let's assume that you're driving 20,000 miles yearly, that the price differential between 93 and 89 is 10 cents, and that you're getting 20 miles per gallon. Let's also assume that your gas mileage stays the same with the lower octane fuel, which may or may not be the case. If it decreases, as many have stated, the savings at the pump would be correspondingly lower.

20,000 divided by 20 is 1000 gallons used yearly. At 10 cents per gallon less, you are saving -- are you ready for this -- a whopping $100 per year! Even if your total miles or gas mileage are higher or lower, we're talking chump change, basically. Just to make the point ad absurdum, even if you drove 40,000 miles and only got 10 miles to the gallon, you'd be saving $400.

So if only as an insurance policy against possible engine damage or carbon build-up, isn't the extra $100 worth it? [chair]

It never ceases to amaze me how people will spend literally an hour, either in line, or driving around to save 3 or 4 bucks for a tank of gas. It would seem they put no value on their own time...just a thought...

Big Daddy said:
Good points and I might mention that continued use of sub octane fuel over time will cause carbon build up. Not a good thing.
Another good point! Running premium will keep those injectors clean and happy !!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand why people like to be so cheap on these matters. They want to drive the premium car but don't want to pay for the upkeep. Premium gas, keep it in a garage at night, etc. etc. Too many people out there who just love to "look rich".

Big Daddy

I have to admit, and I wish I had had my camera at the time, but I once saw an e36 M3 fueling at a Rocket gas station! It was one of those 10 cents per gallon less than everyone else places with old dirty pumps, no national chain, and a booth for the attendant. I just shook my head!

Big Daddy said:
I have to admit, and I wish I had had my camera at the time, but I once saw an e36 M3 fueling at a Rocket gas station! It was one of those 10 cents per gallon less than everyone else places with old dirty pumps, no national chain, and a booth for the attendant. I just shook my head!
I'd like to see how that M is riding these days. [rolleyes] What a waste.

newguy said:
It never ceases to amaze me how people will spend literally an hour, either in line, or driving around to save 3 or 4 bucks for a tank of gas. It would seem they put no value on their own time...just a thought...
IF you save 3 or 4 bucks.. normally you are only after couple cents.. for those smoker, how about smoking one or maybe even half less pack of cigs in a week? $5 bucks right there.. (up in michigan anyway)