Sport Suspension

BLKX5

Just about ready to ink the deal on a 03 X5. Im agonizing over the sport suspension. I like the looks of the larger wheels but am concerned about the stiffness of the ride and the ability to use the 18" wheels in the snow. Two questions for those that have sport suspension - would you get it again and how well do the 18" tires perform in the snow?

Thanks

BLKX5,

My answer is "I'm not sure, but probably", principally because I have not driven the non-sport suspension so I have nothing to compare it to. I have the 19 inch wheels plus I bought the 18 inch snows, which I have yet to try (got my vehicle a couple of months ago).

The things I love about the sport suspension are: the handling (no. 1), the wheels are stunning and really set the car apart from the 18inch wheels; the sport seats, the sports wheel, the black headliner, the black trim on the windows. The ride is smooth as silk on good highways, but very stiff harsh on secondary roads. The harsh ride is a bit tiring for the run of the mill daily jobs like driving to work or going shopping. I suspect the 19 in wheels are slightly harder to keep spotlessly clean than the 18 inch wheels, although I don't know that for sure. I don't think you'll make a mistake either way, but if you prefer a softer ride, don't get the sport suspension. Would be good if the firmness of the suspension was adjustable, like on other vehicles. Good luck.[thumb]

Go with the Sport Suspension. I don't own an X5, but I have been in all the X5's (except the 4.6is) with and without the Sport Package. With the Sport Package, the ride is noticeably stiffer, but it's not bad. Up front, the ride is still smooth and comfortable...it's the back seat where the ride is really harsh and bumpy with the Sport Package.
If I were you, I would definitely go with the Sport Package. The X5 3.0 standard wheels look a bit clumsy, and if you have ever been behind one on the road for a while, you will notice that the car sits kind of weird. The X5 3.0 Sport Package wheels look so great, and it improves the handling at the cost of a bit of a stiffer ride, but I think it is really worth it. As for all-weather drivability, you shouldn't have to worry because the X5 3.0 Sport Package's 18" tires are all-seasons, which should do fine in the snow. There are a lot of people here in NJ who have the X5 3.0i with the Sport Package and they get by fine in our winters with the Sport Package's 18" all-seasons.

Always had Sport Suspension...

Me, I've always had Sport Suspension on any BMW that I have owned and I don't really know anything else. Ironically, the X5 that I test drove was without the sport suspension, but I was still sold on the vehicle. There are a lot of cobble-stone roads/streets over here and if you live anywhere like that, the sport suspension will get on your nerves quick, and you find out fast what's not bolted down or fastened correctly in your vehicle. Put it like this, if there is an occasional bumpy road in your "daily" path, the sport suspension will provide some discomfort, however if you only travel these sorts of surfaces every once in a while the sport suspension is the more aggressive choice, (in a good way ).[mad] [driving] [burnout]

PS I have to retract the first statement I made as I had a "three" (E36) and a "five" (E34) that did not have the sport suspension. Every bimmer aside from those two had sport suspension.

fyi...i just switched from my summer low profile 19 inch performance tires (Michelin) to my Pirelli 18 inch winters. I have the sport suspension. The winter tires ride alot softer, but there isn't a noticeable change in handling for routine driving. Haven't pushed it yet, though. I am happy to have a more forgiving ride for the winter months...[:p]

i'd go w/ the sports package for couple reasons, and if you really dun wanna give up the all season radials, stick w/ the 18 inch all seasons instead of the perf. i know, i know.. but hey it'll save you the hassle of changing tires from summer to winter, and vice versa. besides clear out lights look damn cool and the sports package rims look much better over stock imo.

if yer planning on getting the 3.0i then get the 03 model, since you could prob get a better deal, but if you are gonna get the 4.4i get the 04. the new engine off o 7 series along w/ 6 speed auto for not much more than last year's sticker is a deal that you are gonna kick yourself for some time to come for missing out.