Girl jumps through basketball hoop

New Olympic sport? Like high diving, points for form and technique!!!!!

"Two and one half rotations in the pike position, nothing but net!"

[rofl]

I wonder what they would be doing had she split her head wide open? Why take risks like that?

I guarantee there would be many regrets from all parties involved along with their family/friends had she been paralyzed from such a stupid stunt.....

I am speaking from a parents point-of-view....

Are you one of these parents who wrap their kids in cotton wool??

1) they are obviously gymnasts - sure there is a risk, but I bet it's no riskier than half the stuff they do.

2) Why are we so paranoid about hurting ourselves. Kids almost can't climb trees or play on the monkey bars these days.

3) A lot less dangerous than being 4m (12ft) up in the air at 60kmh (37mph) on a motorbike which is where I was half a dozen times on Sunday afternoon.

Relax.

There’s no need to “relax”. I'm not worried about their kids doing anything. To each their own. I’m happy for you. I like to dirt bike myself. It's great fun and risky. I've taken many risks in my lifetime as well and at times still do. There’s no paranoia going on….

My comment/post was from MY perspective. From where I sit looking at [that] video. A different point-of-view is all. IMO, it’s a stupid stunt that could have very easily gone very wrong. Nothing more and nothing less. It’s not a statement that risks shouldn’t be taken. It’s from outside the box looking in. I’ve been there. It’s no different than one stating their opinion on this board how stupid it is to do 100+ mph on public roads or street racing when they believe that sort of behavior should be performed on a race track (even if they themselves have done this at times). Then there’s the side of the coin that doesn’t see any wrong with it. Some see it as being stupid while other do not….

I'm speaking from personal experience. I wish they would have "wrap their kid in cotton wool". There wouldn't be the life long misery, grief, and regret beset on my outward family during the many family gatherings. It takes a major tragedy to put life into the perspective that I am speaking from. My kids aren’t wrapped in wool, but you can guarantee they are taught good judgment that I hope and pray goes a long way. I still have to field their questions from a stupid stunt gone wrong. It’s not easy or a fun thing to do. Taking risks is part of life and part of enjoying life, but common sense sometime doesn’t come into play until after the fact; this is if you have a chance for retrospect….

Hindsight’s a b!tch when looking after the fact. It usually isn't the risk taker that has the regret or the emotional stress brought on by ones actions or judgment. It's the ones left holding the memories or shell of the person they once were that are left with the “what if” and “if only”. They have to bare the brunt of one “check this out”, “look what I can do” , or “wouldn’t this be cool”. You can look in the newspaper everyday and find what I am talking about. You read it and say, “how stupid, what the heck were they thinking”….

IMO….

Big Daddy

Sott, I could not have said that better! I too have taken risks that I should not have and I too have family members who have and lost! It is a difficult situation and not one to be taken lightly.

Cool. My post was written to stimulate debate, and I like your well-structured argument.

Your Point of view is, I guess, the flipside of the coin to mine. My perspective is that the west live in an over-legislated, over-protected society. We can't execise the freedoms our fore-fathers fought for. Not because they failed to halt the enemy, but because of the government subsequently deciding that we need protecting from ourselves.

And then we have the continually increasing litigious nature of people, especially in the US, but its creeping into other western countries.

I'm sick of PC.

I'm sick of having the fun police legislate me into a prosaic drone.

I'm sick of walking on proverbial eggshells for fear of flamboyant litigation.

We were much better off when we were allowed to kill ourselves by being stupid.

IMO...

If people would examine the facts of supposed "flamboyant litigation," I think people might be surprised as to how reasonable most of those cases appear.

The freedom that was fought for-- and is still fought for is not unlimited. There are reasonable limits. Take this video for example. Say she did split her head open and was subsequently paralyzed; the other participants may be liable to her family for the care for her for the rest of her life (although, she was a willing participant, so probably not). The point is, what I believe you are describing as "paternalism" is nothing more than attribution of liability. The law does not necessarily forbid anyone from doing anything; it simply states, if you do x, these are the consequences. Sometimes the law imposes criminal consequences, but these have to go through the test of constitutionality and therefore USUALLY do not criminalize stupid behavior, unless it is inherently "criminal."

The government simply does this to open citizen's eyes in a way that allows them to *hopefully* understand the risk and to *hopefully* give those citizens "retrospect" before the act occurs. It is a delicate line, but for the most part I think it walked very well by the fed.

Just my thoughts...

True, my original comment was from the view point of how people do dumb sh!t all the time without regard to the possible consequences. The government / legal aspect is a whole other topic hehe....

I read where one school removed the playground equipment due to possible law suits if anyone, at anytime, gets injured while playing on them. The school district doesn’t want to get sued. I mean come one, that should be a child’s right of passage. May as well remove P.E. from the school curriculum. I can’t say I blame them though. People sue for any / everything….

Right or wrong it is the society we live in today. It’s sad when I have to worry about letting a friend of my daughters (of which I do not know the parents) come over to play, due to worrying that she may get injured. Opening the possibility of a law suit. I just wont take the chance. Now that is sad….

That's my point. If a burgular breaks into my home and I bash him with a baseball bat I can be sued (it's happened alot). If aburgular breaks into my home and twists his ankle because my stairs are unsafe - I can be sued. The government wants to ban certain foods because I might eat them and get fat (surely that's my choice?) AAnd so on.

This Nanny State rubbish has gone to far.

I wonder how off topic this can go lol.

CosmosBlack

A deputy we were talking to after he came over to investigate a car break-in advised us "jokingly" that we should make sure we shoot to kill an intruder/burglar who breaks into the house, so that he doesn't live to sue us.

Yup, that is an often debated topic among handgun owners. If your life is threatened to the point of needing to defend yourself with a handgun - "Deadmen tell no tales."

Big Daddy

Being former law enforcement and living in Idaho for 25 years, yep, I own a gun safe and have to many guns to fit inside. Oh yes and I am well trained and not the least bit afraid to use them. You are correct Kirby, better alive and tried by 12 than dead and carried by six.

Wow, I'd love to shoot some serious handguns/rifles etc...
The only guns I've ever fired was a 22, and a bunch of air rifles (dunno if that even counts as guns...)
You would still get into alot of trouble shooting a man that had broken into your house.
Good debate!

Big Daddy

You would still get into alot of trouble shooting a man that had broken into your house.
Not true, the legal key to these cases is what you felt at the moment you used deadly force, if you feared for your life you are not liable criminally. Believe me if I am awoken from a sleep by a burglar I will be fearing for my life.