black saphire color

bigfan

Hi guys. I am about to buy, or maybe order, a new 335 convertible, and for the first time I am considering it in black, but I hate the swirls that typically show up in black paint, especially in direct sunlight. Does anybody out there have the black saphire? Is it better than the jet black when it comes to showing swirls and showing dirt? Is it better because it is metalic? My local dealer says yes, but I'd rather hear it from actual black saphire owners. Thank you for the input and happy BMW driving!

You can avoid the swirls but you have to be willing to work for it.

The biggest impact on swirl marks is how you wash and wax the car. To stay swirl free, you simply cannot use an automatic car wash, unless it is "brushless / touchless". You must hand wash and wax the car, ALWAYS in a straight line, following the lines of the car, i.e. usually front to back, NEVER in a circle as most people do.

Use two buckets, a soap bucket and a rinse bucket. You want to keep the soap bucket dirt free. Rinse the sponge/cloth in the rinse bucket to get rid of tiny dirt particle that causes swirls, and then soap up again.

Apply wax the same as washing, front to back, never circular.

These are the "secrets" to a swirl free finish.