Best Brake Pads

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering what are the best brake pads out there that don't produce that much brake dust. The wheels on my X3 are always covered in brake dust and I'm getting annoyed cleaning them every day. What are the best brake pads to replace the factory ones with?

I'm fed up with the ones currently on my X3!!!!

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. Who likes brake dust? Brake dust deposits on wheels are a common concern among all vehicles, especially on cars with “open design” wheels that use disc brakes.

BMW’s large selection of alloy wheels is mainly the “open wheel” type, which accentuate your BMW's sporty character and give it an even more dynamic look. This wheel design offers greater brake cooling, helping to keep the brakes at an optimal temperature, and contributing to better braking performance. However, open wheels have a tendency to collect brake dust, since more of the brake rotor and brake pad is exposed, and will require more frequent cleaning. Thankfully, because of the open design, these wheels are easier to clean, so the time expended cleaning the wheels is minimal. In order to avoid any damage to the clear coat on your wheels, you should use a good quality wheel cleaner such as the BMW cleaning products available at any BMW center.

BMW uses disc brakes exclusively. BMW brake pads have been designed for superior braking performance and for the reduction of the unpleasant noise that occurs during braking.

If you have any questions or if we can help in any way, please call us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.

Hi! Mr./Ms. Relations,

Nice to meet you. You don't talk much, do you? Let me try calling u at the (800) no. [idea]

oh mine! How could "we" work together toward the same goal??? That disappoints me!!!

Goal ---->>> see below

Kmg3356

i am going to replace the rear pads on my X5. Should I replace the rotors too ? Also are stock pads ceramic or metal based ? Which after market pads resemble the stock ones .(Brand)

Thanks

Keith

Big Daddy

Stock pads are usually a metallic pad, they are not ceramic. All the pad brands listed above are good ones, what you decide to use depends on your driving style and conditions. Read the articles and see the pads at Autohaus Arizona in the marketplace section. Brake Pads

I bet you guys have a customer relations member on here because of your forum name uses the copyrighted BMW logo. My other forum was forced to change names because of legal issues.

I use Axxis Ultimate Ceramics. Sincerely I feel they do provide better braking over the stock pads. As far as brake dust goes, I believe they produce about the same amount. Squeaking noise until you run them about 45-50 miles.

Big Daddy

We do not use the official logo and that customer relations person posts here on occassion. I spoke with customer relations about it once and they do troll the forums, however I was told that they are supposed to leave a reference number so I am not sure how legit this person is.

Kmg3356

Should i have the rotors turned or replace them when i change the rear pads ? The pedal doesnt pulsate at all. BMW did the front brakes and said that the rotors are soft and wear with the pads and should be replaced at the same time ? This is new to me ? Soft rotors ?

Thanks Keith

Yes, this is correct. This is a European design philosophy, Volvo is the same way. The rotors are soft, which provides better braking power. They consider the rotors a consumable exactly like the brake pads.