Aussie members

Just a note to see how many Aussie members we have. Where do you live, what do you drive.

I live in Melbourne, and drive an '03 318i exec. I know it ain't the fastest Bimmer, but I think it's awesome. I wouldn't bother making any mods to a 4 cyl like this, but hope to upgrade to 325 in the future.

sunline

In Melbourne

In Melbourne as well.

Drive an old 86 318 but about to head back to the UK and by a much more recent BWM.

Would love to get hold of a nice M3 convertable or Coupe but still probably dreaming.

Is Australia the most overpriced BMW country in the world or what, funny reading a herald-sun article the other day headed "Beeming with joy" regarding how our strong dollar is making luxurious imported cars more affordable.

Even with our recent strong dollar I notice our American friends still pay less than half the list price of a new M3 than we would.

Anyway are you in the BMW car club or anything?

I totally agree with the comment on dollars. It's rediculous. That's why they still make the 318, so there's a lower level entry into BMW.

M3 convertable sounds great.

No, I'm not in any clubs. No real desire to be in one. Just enjoy driving it and learning about the make.

hello hello,
how are we all, i usually spend my time on www.gccv.net, but hopefully this turns out big as well.
i drive an E28, and i have just posted pics of it in showroom,

AUSSIE'S RULE!!!
badboy

the japanese have bmw's pricing in the worst way...only 500 or some very low number allowed per year...gov wants domestic cars to do well, so m3's go for whatever the buyer
is willing to pay...once i read a 02 m3 sold for 130,000 american dollars. i could pick one up for like 48 grand. and i wouldn't have to wait 2 years =]

angus said:
Angus here...

I'm in Sydney and drive an E30 318i 1988 and just purchased an E30 325is 1989. As well manage three family vehicles: E34 535i 1988 and 525i 1992, and an E28 528i 1985.

I live in the thriving and growing BMW community in Sydney. Where on average 2 of 15 cars is a BMW. Its ok, well for work it is.

I work in a local Sydney BMW dealership in the workshop. Currently a third-year apprentice.

Currently working on an unofficial Australian BMW website, for us. Its just in the drafting stages, but please check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.bmwaustralia.com
Angus, I like it, it looks like a cross between the BMW australia site and the BMW Williams F1 site.

What's your intention with the site...interest...parts...forum...?

I think it's a great idea.

Kenny here...frm Perth WA...

driving a sapphire black 318i sport...expensive..what we paid for our 318's in australia is what ppl would ppay for 2 330i's in the US..
depressing but nevertheless fulfilling

hehs

Hi Kenny, yeah it's depressing.

I bought my 318 just before all the new packages came out (Sport etc). I have 16" alloys, sun roof, leather and armrest (love the armrest). If the Sport had been available at the time I would have gone for it.

What's it like?

hey all.... the names Ash,

I'm in Melbourne and i drive a 93 318is (below). Jus got it at the end of last yr (1st car)!

nice webpage there angus!

ciao
-ash

Hey mate,
Yeah i'm from Melbourne and i've got an E30 318is which i just adore! Its Brilliant Red like Ash's actually! Beautiful presentation on that car mate. Incidentally, i've been wondering what options there are in terms of performance gains, and if they're at all recommended?? The 4cyl is a great engine but i just need a bit more power :)! I'd love to hear what you guys thought. Pete.

I'm reluctant to add to a 4cyl. Considering you never get your money back on any mods, I plan on waiting till I have a BMW 6cyl before I add mods, so it's more worthwhile. But that's just my opinion.

If you're in Melbourne, check out http://www.bmtech.com.au/design/products/performance.asp. They have some performance upgrades such as chips for the 318. Could also look at a K&N air filter which will help the engine breath better.

Hey James,
Yeah I'm always concerned about air filters and i've heard bad stuff about K&N in particular because they let too much into the engine itself, then you have stuff getting into the internals etc... I was also thinking that people who buy BMWs would probably want it standard - well i would anyway! Thanks for the tips though. I'll check out the site. Also, a word of warning: i got my car from BMW Niederlassung which is the new used BMWs dealership and they put in new brakes for me but the pads they used were really shitty. I'm told BMWs use ATE pads which are exceptional so i plan on taking my car back to Niederlassung and telling them where to put the pads!!! Pete

Chesty Bonds said:
Hey James,
Yeah I'm always concerned about air filters and i've heard bad stuff about K&N in particular because they let too much into the engine itself, then you have stuff getting into the internals etc... I was also thinking that people who buy BMWs would probably want it standard - well i would anyway! Thanks for the tips though. I'll check out the site. Also, a word of warning: i got my car from BMW Niederlassung which is the new used BMWs dealership and they put in new brakes for me but the pads they used were really shitty. I'm told BMWs use ATE pads which are exceptional so i plan on taking my car back to Niederlassung and telling them where to put the pads!!! Pete
Thanks for the heads up on the dealer. I've strolled through there and the range is quite impressive.

Thermostat change

Hey boys,
Just wondering whether or not it is a big job to change the thermostat on my E30 318is? My temp gauge is not hovering quite near the centre mark like it used to and i have noticed a fall in fuel consumption... I am assuming it is the thermostat of course. I have heard that the thermostat itself is quite inexpensive but it's the labour that kills you (isn't that always the way) and i'd prefer to do it myself, so long as i don't have to be an engineer to do it!

Thanks. Pete

HI Guys,

I am a Melbournian, former owner of a red 1990 E30 318is. Hence the name (been using the id for years).

After changing cars for a new leased one, I have spent the last few years regretting the decision and miss the bimmer heaps.

On the lookout for an E30 project. 318is of 325is for preference. Planning to develop it over time using E36 M3 parts. Engine, transmission etc. Mot to create a rebadged "m3" lookalike or anything. Just an understated sleeper. [driving2]

Anyone done something similar here? By that I mean here in Melbourne Australia.

cheers,
Marty