Winter Block Heaters?

Hi all,

I live in Winnipeg, Canada, (you know - north of North Dakota [:D] ) and I recently purchased an 01 X5 4.4. When I asked the dealer about a block heater (it gets to -40 deg here in the winter), he said that the SAE5w30 synthetic oil can handle that no problem, and that they don't install block heaters in their vehicles...

I am not so sure. I always thought, regardless of the motor oil used, a block heater would ensure an easy engine start, and avoid the risk of a cracked block.

Does anyone have an opinion or info on this topic? I appreciate any input; I guess it'll be cheaper to install a block heater than to replace the engine block, but I don't know. Thanks for your help!

HC

I also live in a very cold climate and use a block heater on my 2001 X5. When temperatures start dropping to -40C then even the best 30 synth oil will become thick enough to create enough pressure to blow a seal and leak into the engine. I also upped my car battery to 875 ccc. Repeated starting of the car in extreme cold weather is very hard on the engine. Go for the block heater.

I've never seen one but I never needed one, and -40C = -40F? thats what all the conversion things say and I thought C is different from F???

Nevermind I found out and damn thats cold

Last edited: