Power Steering Shaft gone at 25K

TrishDeens

Now how can that be? I purchased this '04 CPO in late August with 22k. It bothers me about other potential major malfunctions down the road.

-p-

TrishDeens

---rack. The dealership informed me that they were replacing the entire power steering rack. It was making a screeching noise during turns. I also reported that in mid-steer during a sharp right or left turn, the rotation would skip a beat - or that's the best I can describe it.

TrishDeens

Thanks, Big D. I picked it up yesterday and they said that one of the seals had broken and was leaking internally, though I might add that I never saw any ground grease. They opted to replace the entire system, which thankfully was still under warranty.

I've been mixed about pony-ing up for the extended service , but I will definately purchase it next year - it runs out in June.

Big Daddy

When they lose a seal it leaks into the boot. At some point when the boot gets overfull they will start leaking onto the ground. You did good, they can be expensive!

William330

On a similar note, should power steering noises (that whining sound) be heard on an X3?

My 330 is dead silent, but I notice the X3 makes a low whining sound when turning in the parking lot, and a fairly loud whining sound when the steering wheel is turned all the way to one side.

Is this normal, due to the large tires, or should it be silent lock-to-lock on the steering wheel?

when you are pushing the wheel and it's already full locked to one side expect to hear that whine get really loud. the reason? thats your power steering system working double time, try to avoid it, it's hard on the system.