Need a helping hand on buying an X5!

MattA

I am thinking of buying a 2002 X5 4.4 with a blown engine. Do you guys think that it is a good idea if the car has 22,000 miles on it, also I am wondering how much a new engine would cost me and if I did buy could I be sure that because the engine was blown there wont be any other problem that it could lead to.

Big Daddy

Wow how did they blow the engine in an 02 X5? I wonder because if it was abuse I would be concerned about other componets of the drivetrain. I would have a good BMW mechanic check the vehicle out before buying. How much off book pricing are they offering considering the engine needs replacing? Anyother damage to the vehicle?

it is hard to race with an X5! Did it join the drag racing? I don't think short circuit was an issue around the engine for BMW, but no Jeep & ML.

MattA

The car is going to cost me $14,000, so overall its a good deal even if the engine costs about $7,000, it still comes out a lot cheaper. And I have one more question, Im 21 and im wondering how much the insurance would cost me. And if I took a loan on the car about how much would the payments come out to be?

Big Daddy

MattA said:
The car is going to cost me $14,000, so overall its a good deal even if the engine costs about $7,000, it still comes out a lot cheaper. And I have one more question, Im 21 and im wondering how much the insurance would cost me. And if I took a loan on the car about how much would the payments come out to be?

Call an insurance company and ask them for a quote, they are usually more than willing to provide one. The payment amount is going to depend on the interest rate you can get and how many months you finance it. Do a google search for loan calculators and you can figure it there. Good luck!

Tom

Staff Team
I think after installation, the cost of replacing the engine will be on upwards of $10K.

Another option is to look for a used engine from a salvage yard to ebay, and have that installed.