First time

thmid

Relatively recent arrival on the I-net scene...first time on ANY board or forum...very recent acquisition of my very first BMW.
I have questions I can't seem to find answers to locally and am hoping this may be the way.

I guess protocol dictates that I create a new thread for specific questions but, as I stated, I am not experienced in this and will welcome suggestions and corrections.

Many thanks in anticipation from "Down Under" ... and I don't mean down under the car!

I would probably go to the 7-series section and start a thread there. Make the subject meaningful. If it is related to your stereo or something not necessarily 7-series related, start a thread in the according section.
If you post your question here, I can help direct you to the proper section. Eventually, you'll get really used to the forum and surf around like it's nothing.

thmid

Many thanks, Bear6360.
My first endeavour was to locate an Owner's Handbook Service Manual -- scarce as hen's teeth in Aussie. I finally bought one from the USA via eBay. It's specific to "USA and Canadian" models, of course, but apart from Left Hand Drive layout, seems to be pertinent. Now I want more detail and there are CD sets offered on eBay but I'm confused by the requirement for a 'designation'. My '84 735i has engine# 635EL20092A020, Chassis# WBAFH80250 7871981. I see posts referencing "E32" etc with the model. Where can I find the appropriate "E" number -- or is it the "35EL" as contained in the engine #? Is there a website where such detail cross references is to be found?
Also, self proclaimed "experts" hereabouts insist that because it is a 1984 model, it was designed to run on leaded "super" fuel. However the handbook I have clearly states the same US/Canadian model is designed to run on unleaded gasoline "(87 AKI or 91 RON)".
"Leaded" fuel is no longer available in Australia and I've been adding "Red Line Lead Substitute" which uses a sodium based chemistry and is not harmful to catylitic converters. However, at $25 a small (12 US fl. ozs) bottle, it makes for expensive motoring. High Octane unleaded gasoline costs about $1 a liter (US$2.95 per US gal)!
Any thoughts/suggestions on tracking down a legitimate source of such info?
Thanks in anticipation.

thmid

Update to foregoing: Finally found someone who really knows what he's talking about. The '84 735i in Australia is actually a 3.2 litre, body style E23, designed to operate on "Super" (leaded) fuel. Guess I'll continue to add Redline lead substitute!
Sorry to go off half-cocked.
[?|]