ck coolant sensor come on frequently

pdreed

Have an X5- 2000 yr. Has anyone experienced their check coolant level sensor coming on frequently? I just spent over $4K at the dealer which included new hose and radiator..but it still comes on and there aren't any leaks on the ground. I am wondering if it's just a sensor issue. Dealer says it may be a slight leak in hose or water tank but will not give definitive cause.

I cannot say for sure on the X, but on the 3 Series this problem is usually caused by the level sensor. I checked the X5 parts diagram, and it does have this similar sensor. It is located in the bottom of the expansion tank. It can get fouled by coolant gunk and cause false triggers.

Click here, it's part #8 in the diagram. It should be the same for all X5 models in that year.

$4K??? Holy crap!!!

The first thing they should have done was to replace this $15 sensor and let you drive it a few days. Did they do that?

The second thing to do now is check the level first thing in the morning (i.e. when cold) VISUALLY UNDER THE HOOD. If you are at normal level each morning for a week, and still get sensor trips, it is NOT a coolant level/leak issue. And then you need to find a new service center!!!!!

There is a way to clear the SES light on your own if you have a tool such as the Actron OBD 2 Auto Scanner. I picked one up on eBay last year for about $60 to diagnose a problem. All European body shops and even the dealerships use this..its a simpler way to get through all the bells and whistles a BMW has. It has a code manual book with the mechanism itself. So next time you dont have to spend $4000 on a service!!! And you will know if a mechanic is trying to rip you off by telling you things you really don't need at the time.