Can CD player play CDs with MP3s on them?

m026090

I recently bought a 2005 X5 with the Nav system and six disc CD changer installed. Can the factory CD player play CDs with MP3s burned on it?

Thank you.

Yes, I use easy CD creator. Select make an music CD project. Pick all the MP3s that you want and "click" record.

Last edited:
I just want to make sure that m026090's question was not misunderstood. Easy CD Creator and Nero do make music CD's (of course) but I believe the question was if the player would read CD's with MP3 files on them. Not MP3's that have been converted to a music CD. A music CD can hold about 15-20 songs depending on length right? You can store much more music than that if you just burn the MP3 files on the CD. You figure an average of 3-4MB per song on decent quality (not the best), that gives you about 200 files per 700MB CD. That's easily more than 10 complete albums on 1 CD.

From what I understand the Cd player does read MP3 and WMA files (WMA has smaller file sizes) but doesn't display Artist/Song Title information. I have used Nero or Easy CD Creator so you may be saying the same thing. I just wanted to point it out just in case it wasn't completely clear.

Yes, you are right-Rob V. After processing by the computer, the MP3s can still be played in the factory CD player.

I totally agree with you on the memory storage capacity of a CD. That's why my older car is full of scratched CDs flying around and the new X3 has the 20Gb iPod hooked up with the iPod interface adaptor.

Well m026090, ...I recently found out that if your X3 has the 6-Disc changer it will NOT play MP3's regardless of the model year. Too bad! Sorry about the mis-information.